Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 22:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Douglas Thomas Crosher <dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/1848: breakpoints in shared libraries don't fire

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Douglas Thomas Crosher stands accused of saying:

> > > Setting a breakpoint in a shared library would be Bad, as you don't
> > > have any way of telling who else it is shared with.  I suspect that
> > > the attempt to set the trace is silently failing.
> >
> > What about pages mmapped MAP_PRIVATE, couldn't the page be copied for
> > private use when the breakpoint is set?
>
> I'm sure it _could_, after all it's just software.  However ld.so most
> likely maps pages as readonly, so you would have to make some changes
> there (to detect whether a program was being debugged etc.), or teach
> gdb to change the mappings on shared libraries.

I really don't understand all the talk about debugging shared libs...  it
must be a problem with the updated gcc because under 2.6.3 w/ gdb 4.13 you
can debug share libs without a problem...  just to make sure I just did it
with out a problem...

I wish I could tell you more of what I did... but all I did was compile
the lib with -g and yes.. the lib (my own cgiparse lib) is linked shared:
tmp:
        -lcgiparse.1 => /usr/local/lib/libcgiparse.so.1.0 (0x801b000)
        -lc.3 => /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0 (0x802b000)

hope this helps id the problem... ttyl...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)