Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:03:19 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        michael2043@comcast.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which FreeBSD For A Production System

Michael G. Goodell wrote:
> Which release of FreeBSD is best for a production environment? I am aware of
> the different branches of development: CURRENT, STABLE, RELEASE and I
> *think* I understand the meaning of each from what I have read. Perhaps not
> since I am writing this question! But, what I would like to know is when I
> am setting up a production system, or desktop for that matter, which is
> considered *THE* most stable of the choices in versions. Is it in the 4.x
> branch, 5x etc...

The most stable version of FreeBSD available today is 4.10.  If your priority
is to get something that will work, stay up, and not have to fiddled with, go
with that.

If you've got some time available, beta-testing 5.3 would be very helpful.  In
a matter of a few weeks, 5.3 is going to become -STABLE.  It would be easier
to stay up-to-date in the future if you go with 5.3.

--
-Chuck