Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 00:13:56 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown vs fastboot & reboot

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 05:38:26PM -1000, Matt Rohrer wrote:
> I have an interesting problem with my 3.4-STABLE box.
>
> When I reboot using 'shutdown -h now', and then boot back up, the
> machine won't connect to the network. If I simply use 'reboot' or
> 'fastboot' (fastboot is aliased to reboot, according to the man
> page) the network is detected with no problems.

Actually,

  % cd /sbin
  % ls -li fastboot fasthalt halt reboot
  12783 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  187792 Feb  7 03:00 fastboot
  12783 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  187792 Feb  7 03:00 fasthalt
  12783 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  187792 Feb  7 03:00 halt
  12783 -r-xr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  187792 Feb  7 03:00 reboot

All four are the same file.

> My guess is that I have a configuration problem that's only found when
> booting cold. Anyone have any idea what network files are accessed
> during a cold boot and not a reboot? Or am I on the wrong track
> altogether?

More likely, the problem is that shutdown is not closing everything
down properly. I have the problem that when a member of group operator
uses shutdown, the machine just hangs there and never syncs the
disks. If I eventually power cycle, I come up with,

  WARNING: / was not properly dismounted!

I've never had any network related issues to this however.