Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 98 15:57:14 +0200
From:      THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
To:        Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=E9p_:_Upgrade_from_2.2.2-RELEASE_to_2.2.6-RELEASE?=

    Where does this come from ?

    (from your dmesg)
    changing root device to st1s1a
                            ^^^

    st devices were meant to be SCSI Tapes - or am I wrong ?

        TfH

Due to a problem that I was experiencing I felt obliged to do an UPGRADE
install from 2.2.2-RELEASE to 2.2.6-RELEASE and I have a couple of
problems.

1) The 'dmesg' output from the GENERIC kernel is below and you will notice
that it reports a Pentium F00F error - I was not aware that this was
possible
on a 233Mhz Pentium and it did not report this at 2.2.2 whats happening
here.

2) Issuing a 'startx' command with my existing /etc/X86Config now gives me
an error 'failed to set default font path '.....' followed by 'could not
open default
font 'fixed''. "The Complete FreeBSD" says that for the second of these
errors you should run 'mkfontdir' on all the font directories, however the
first
message implies that it cannot find the font path so the second error is
probably a follow on from the first. Why can't it set the default font path
? All
the paths are present !

'dmesg output from GENERIC kernel attached'

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.