Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:48:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      nsayer@quack.kfu.com
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware observations

Congratulations to those who made the VMware port possible. I have
Windows 98 installed in it after some issues, and would like to share
my observations, in case they are helpful.

1. The audio works with OSS. I loaded the Atomic3d plugin and played
some of the Filthy 3d Jokeman stuff. It was a little hicupy, but what
do you want from an emulator? :-)

2. The network works fine too. I have NAT running on my box and
Win98 can see the Internet. Hooray!

3. There is definately some problems with SCSI as opposed to IDE CDROMs
that is tripping up vmware:

A. Opening an empty CDROM device results in EIO on EIDE and ENXIO on
SCSI. This means that when you "power on" you must have a CD in a SCSI
CDROM or else you won't get to use the CDROM at all. I suspect changing
the error for the SCSI device to make it consistent would be a good thing.
I will open a PR for this.

B. Attempting to open the CDROM device from Windows results in:
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): READ SUB-CHANNEL. CDB: 42 0 40 1 0 0 a2 0 18 0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): Invalid field in CDB

My only guess is that this is in cdreadsubchannel() in cam/scsi/scsi_cd.c,
but I am not a SCSI guru.

I was able to install from the win98 CD. However, in order to finish
installing network and sound drivers, I had to boot the CD again,
tell it to 'boot DOS with CD-ROM support' and then copy d:\win98\*.cab
onto a folder on the hard disk. Windows still can't see the CDROM,
but at least I can give it a folder when it wants to load drivers and
stuff.