Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:03:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestion for shutdown/halt man pages

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Mojn

The man pages for shutdown and halt hint at the -p option to power
off the system, without giving all the needed details.  In addition,
the setting in /etc/rc.conf that can enable this functionality does
not mention its magical powers for this.

I suggest the following, more or less, based on the -stable man
pages.

halt/reboot/etc:
     -p      The system will turn off the power if it can.  This is of course
             likely to make reboot rather similar to halt.  See shutdown(8)
             for more details.

shutdown:
(This probably needs to be reworded to reflect reality, rather than
 my warped vision thereof)
     -p      The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware sup-
             port required) at the specified time.  In order for this to
             succeed, the hardware support must be complemented by enabling
             apm(8) (apm -e enable), which is easiest done at boot time by
             setting apm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

And then in /etc/defaults/rc.conf itself:
apm_enable="NO"         # Set to YES to enable APM BIOS functions (or NO).
                        # This is needed to make `shutdown -p' work.
Alternatively, if a single line is a goal:
apm_enable="NO"         # Enable APM BIOS functions (`shutdown -p' needs this)

Of course, if what I've written is *not* true, then I'd like to know
just what the reality really is...

thanks
barry bouwsma