Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:54:50 -0800
From:      Jonas Manalive <manalive@gmx.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postfix/procmail/fetchmail/spamassassin setup

Hello,

I am having terrible time trying to figure out why I can't get any
emails. I used to be able to receive them before, but since reinstalling
FreeBSD (new harddrive), I am not able to get any emails again. I am
using FreeBSD 5.1 - standalone computer with me as the sole user. With
postfix, I want to use fetchmail to fetch mails and procmail to deliver
them and spamassassin to examine them. I want the procmail/postfix to
send them to /var/mail/manalive. Here are the configurations
(username/password changed of course :) ) and let me know where I am
doing wrong. There is no procmail.log file. I have stopped, started, and
reloaded the postfix after configuring. Any other configurations you
need to see, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jonas

------------------------------
.fetchmailrc
-----
set logfile /home/manalive/Logs/fetchmail.log
set postmaster manalive
set no bouncemail

# Poll at 15 minute intervals
set daemon 900

poll pop.mail.com
        proto POP3
        user "manalive@mail.com"
        pass "password"
        is manalive here
        fetchall
        no keep
poll pop.mail.com
        proto POP3
        user "second@mail.com"
        pass "password"
        is manalive here
        no fetchall
        keep

------------------------------
.forward
-----
"|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- ||
exit 75 manalive"

-------------------------------
.procmailrc
----
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/games
DEFAULT=/var/mail/manalive
LOGFILE=/home/manalive/Logs/procmail.log
VERBOSE=YES

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 1000000
| spamassassin

-----------------------------------
fetchmail.log
----------
fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.mail.com (protocol POP3) at Sun Nov 23
13:12:33 2003: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK MAIL POP3 StreamProxy ready
<12580.1069621952@mp010>
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unknown command.
fetchmail: Unknown command.
fetchmail: Repoll immediately on manalive@mail.com@pop.mail.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK GMX POP3 StreamProxy ready <18555.1069621953@mp021>
fetchmail: POP3> USER manalive@mail.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK May I have your password, please?
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK mailbox has 326 messages (1419792 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 326 1419792
fetchmail: 326 messages for manalive@mail.com at pop.mail.com (1419792
octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 4551
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK message follows
fetchmail: reading message manalive@mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 326 (4551
octets)
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: terminated with signal 15
fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 326 messages for manalive@mail.com at pop.mail.com (1419792
octets).
fetchmail: reading message manalive@mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 326 (4551
octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.com
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: 1 message for second@mail.com at pop.mail.com (26611 octets).
fetchmail: reading message second@mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 1 (26611
octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.com

---------------------------------------
main.cf for postfix (with #lines removed)
----------------
soft_bounce = no
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = ancient.mariner.sea
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases
home_mailbox = Mailbox
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mailbox_command = /usr/local/bin/procmail
debug_peer_level = 2
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
setgid_group = maildrop
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
readme_directory = no

rc.conf
----------------
hostname="ancient.mariner.sea"