Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:47:36 -0700
From:      Virgil Champlin <champlin@stupidog.org>
To:        Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing with java under FreeBSD - CUPS symlinks

This bit me on a couple of hosts with the 1.2.x upgrade which removes
print/cups-lpd.  So I took a look in
/usr/ports/print/cups-base/pkg-install.  The post install operation
"unshades" the /usr/local/bin versions of lp*  by clearing the mode bits
on the /usr/bin copies (chmod -h 0 ...).  It no longer moves them out of
the way and replaces them with symlinks.  It also does it only if you
have CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE defined.  CUPS 1.2.x has been a real pain but
for other reasons.  -virgil