Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:28:52 +0200
From:      Tuyet Tram DANG NGOC <Tuyet-Tram.Dang-Ngoc@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing a DOS boot sector within FreeBSD

Hi there,

I've managed to restore a FreeBSD boot sector by using disklabel.
I can also install the MBR by using the boot0cfg command from a file
where the MBR was dumped using the same 'boot0cfg -f' command.
All of it work, and I have effectively a menu that show
F1 DOS
F2 FreeBSD
and which boot when I press F2.

Now, all I want to do is to write also the boot sector for my
MS-DOS slice so I can boot on it when I press F1.
But I want to write it FROM FreeBSD.
I can access to the MSDOS slice and mount it from FreeBSD, but now I wonder
how I can write its boot sector. My constraints are that I mustn't reboot to do
the work, and so I mustn't work on the DOS environment but stay on the FreeBSD
session.
(I'm trying to do a logical duplication of the disk).

Is there a command or a clue for me to do that ?
Is the boot sector of MS-DOS that must be written on the beginning of the slice
stored somewhere ? I've found some "hidden files" on the DOS slice that could
be perhaps boot files, but I'm not sure, and I have no idea of how I could
put them on.

I could also do a 'dd' for my duplication from the first sectors of each
slice, but I would like to have the most "logical" and size of disk
"independancy", so If someone had an idea, it would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Trām
--
dntt@prism.uvsq.fr
Universite de Versailles

La vie serait plus facile si nous pouvions regarder ses sources