Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2004 16:17:22 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Medium to High end notebook/laptop suitable for FBSD

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 07:13, David Gilbert wrote:
> I'd like to recomend the Dell D-800...

> Malcolm> The wish list includes: UXGA display (1600x1200) on a
> Malcolm> reasonably large display capable of resolving most of this.
>
> UXGA (1600x1200) and WUXGA (1920x1200) are both options on the D800
>
> Malcolm>   Minimum 256Mb memory -- 512 would be nice.
>
> 2G is supported, but very expensive.  1G is affordable.
>
> Malcolm>   FBSD supported LAN connection -- preferably via wireless.
>
> GigE on the mainboard and b, b/g, or a/b/g in the mini-pci slot.
> Dell's TM 1400 is a/b/g and supported by NDIS in 5.2.  You can also
> buy 3'rd party ath driver mini-pci cards.
>
> Malcolm>   Plenty of disk space, but prepared to settle for 40Gb or
> Malcolm> so.
>
> 60 Gig available, 40 gig 7200 RPM available.  2nd drive (internal) is
> an option.
>
> Malcolm>   Internal Dialup modem that can be utilised through FBSD.
>
> No on this point.  I have a pccard with an x-jack.  very few laptops
> have the lucent chipset ... which is the only one we have a hacked
> linux binary driver for.
>
> I'm hoping that someone will hack NDIS to support this.
>
> Malcolm>   Some method of connecting an optical mouse.  (A connection
> Malcolm> for a conventional keyboard might also be attractive.)
>
> 3x USB.  I use a USB mouse that only has a dongle ... and that stores
> the dongle in the mouse when not in use.
>
> Malcolm>   CDROM/R/RW. (DVD play would be an attracive bonus.)
>
> All options.  Dell's practially giving away DVD+RW's according to /.
>
> Malcolm>   USB
>
> 3 ports.  1 firewire.
>
> Malcolm>   Reasonably quick -- in the 2Ghz to 3 Ghz range
>
> Centrino 1.7.  ~ equivalent to p4/2.6
>
> Malcolm> The following aspects I don't see as being of much importance
> Malcolm> to me: (But of course it is possible that I'm overlooking
> Malcolm> some important aspect) Long period of battery use; I imagine
> Malcolm> power will be mostly be available.
>
> I have a 2nd battery that gives me about 4h.  2.5 h on the main battery
>
> Malcolm>   Fancy power management.
>
> Power management isn't good in FreeBSD... but maybe Warner's patch
> will change that.
>
> Malcolm>   Floppy drive.
>
> Floppy is available ... but would displace your cdrom when in use.
>
> Malcolm> The Toshiba satellite P20 seems to mostly have the hardware
> Malcolm> features I'd like to have (and is just about affordable); but
> Malcolm> I'm led to believe that there are extreme difficulties in
> Malcolm> getting FreeBSD operational on any late model Toshiba
> Malcolm> notebooks/laptops.
>
> Malcolm> Are there any suggestions as to where I might start looking?
> Malcolm> Is there anyone with a machine fulfilling most of my wish
> Malcolm> list with FBSD capability?
>
> The installation of FreeBSD is a snap on the D-800, but to be happy,
> you'll need:
>
> - The corrected AML code to make ACPI happy
> - The binary nvidia driver (faster 3D, better support)
> [...]

Thanks for your response. The Dell D800 certainly looks interesting.

Stefan E=DFer has  also strongly recommended a Centrino based machine.

But others are suggesting various IBM Thinkpad models and I must also giv=
e=20
some credance to their suggestions. I've ceratinly not yet made a choice.

Thanks; your detailed contribution is much appreciated,

Malcolm Kay