Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:57:52 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2R Console hanging.

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been running `setiathome' on FreeBSD 3.2R,  having it generate
> > output to the console for several months (it's nice to *see* the
> > machine actually do something), and I've noticed that on some rare
> > occasions (ie: twice in 3 months), that the console hangs.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this problem?
> >
> > Jonathan Chen
>
>  Yes - I reported the same problem about a month ago.  The discussion
>  is in the -hackers mailing list archives.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having the problem. Not so good to
know that the problem exists..

[...]
>  There was some speculation (with which I'm not sure I agree) that
>  running setiathome causes the laptop to overheat... but, I've
>  run this laptop "full tilt" (doing big builds, etc...) for hours
>  without it ever overheating...

I don't quite think it's got anything to do with overheating at all.
I've had setiathome running on a separate screen while running X on
another, running major compiles with no problems for hours. My
machine's a P233 with 64M of RAM.

Was your laptop connected to a network? One thing I have just recalled
was that that the console hung usually shortly after sending the
work-packet back over the 'Net via ppp. Some weird interference with
the network code (unlikely as it sounds)?

Jonathan Chen