Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 17:16:28 PDT
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   wicontrol & buggy hex encryption keys?

Hi,

     I'm writing some docs on setting up a wireless home lan w/FreeBSD,
and I've been running into some strangeness with wicontrol(8).  In
particular, the wicontrol man page has this note:

	Note: currently, the field in the structure used to program
        the key into the NIC is only 14 bytes long, not 16.  I'm not
        sure how this is supposed to allow 128 bits of key info for
        the gold cards.

There is code in wicontrol.c that limits the key to "14 bytes"; however,
it appears that the length check is being applied to the length of the
key string, regardless of whether or not the string is in hex.  In hex,
a 14-char limit only allows one to specify 6 key bytes.  Is this
intentional, or is this a bug?

     Also, in regards to the mysterious 14-byte limit, check out:

	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2000/02/04/0001.html

It appears that, for 64-bit (silver) cards, you can really only specify
40 (5 bytes) of the 64 bits.  Interestingly, for gold cards, an
additional 64 bits is 8 bytes, and 5 + 8 gives "13".  Add an extra byte
for a possible '\0', and you have 14.  I wonder if this is what's going
on (yuk, this would mean that the sequence number length hasn't
increased).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com