Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:42:58 +0100
From:      Andre Halama <halama@linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nic fails to get initialised

hey all,

i have trouble configuring my network card on a compaq deskpro 5100 under
fbsd 3.1-release. the compaq diagnostics program says that the nic is a
netflex-l but from a previous installation of nt i know that it uses the
amd pcnet family drivers, so my guess is that compaq used an onboard
version of amd's am79c970 pci card. when i run compaq's diagnostics program
it finds the nic at irq 11 and starting at i/o address 0x1000. now, under
freebsd i can configure the lnc0 driver (i know that the handbook only
mentions amd's am7990 and am79c960 isa cards) on the isa bus so that it
matches the aforementioned values. but during boot-up i get the messages
that there is both an lnc1 (?!) at pci with the correct irq, i/o address
and mac address and an lnc0 at eisa also with all the required values.
thing is that i either get a memory initialisation error during the boot
sequence or the nic is not initialised after boot-up. completely removing
lnc0 from the kernel did not do the trick, while lnc1 does not crop up
anywhere!

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

a.