Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:17:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@yogotech.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), will@physics.purdue.edu, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Turning on debugging in GENERIC

Nate Williams writes:
[ ... ]

OK, Mr. "holier than thou":

Q:	What is the root cause of the desire for increased default
	diagnostics in GENERIC?

I say it's to make it easier to debug things: it's a soloution to
the "debugability problem".

Your answer?

Q:	Is there more than one way to solve the "debugability
	problem", without adding a bunch of cruft to GENERIC?

I say "yes", but it's probably not worth the effort, except for
DIAGNOSTIC, which I think will preturb the results into unusabilty.

Your answer?

Q:	Would making bug reports more repeatable by developers
	reduce the need for a bunch of debugging information?

I say "yes", and it can be accomplished with some simple process
changes that will cost nearly nothing.  I'm willing to help with
the script changes on the machines where these would have to be
implemented to be effective.

Your answer?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org