Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:22:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lost IPv6 with ipfw in latest stable

For the first time since about may I have updated my 6-Stable system and
my firewall seems badly broken with IPv6.

1. Any rule with me6 is rejected as an unknown host
2. A rule of "allow ip from me to any" still is blocking IPv6
3. I am seeing ICMPv6 type 135 blocked even though I have a rule to
   explicitly allow it:
   allow ipv6-icmp from any to me ip6 icmp6types 134,135,136

When I booted up, the console said that "ipfw2 (+ipv6) initialized", but
it really looks like the IPv6 stuff is not working right. I did try to
explicitly add a rule permitting my IPv6 source to send to my DNS server
and that does appear to work.

My firewall on my -current system seems to be OK except that 'me6' is
not accepted there, either. (I suspect the documentation needs updating.)

Am I doing something dumb or is something broken in ipfw?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)