Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 14:29:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Brad Chisholm <sasblc@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AAC-364 RAID controller support

> I see from the FreeBSD driver database at http://www.posi.net/freebsd/drivers
> that support for the Adaptec AAC-364 RAID controller (aka Dell PERC 2) has
> been proposed, but it is stalled waiting on documentation from Adaptec.
>
> For what it's worth, you can add us to the list of people who have these
> cards and would very much like to use them under FreeBSD.  Is there someone
> at Adaptec I could contact to "encourage" them to release the documentation
> we require?  At the very least, it might be worthwhile to let them know
> there's interest in using their cards with FreeBSD.

I've tried most of the avenues available to me so far; things were
looking sort-of OK until they acquired DPT, at which point the entire
division had some sort of falling seizure.  If you're a sizeable Dell
customer, I do believe that there are two people at Dell that have access
to the requisite information as well as authorisation to release it.  You
may consider that avenue of approach as well.

> We're currently running different arrays with:
>
>    1) DPT SmartRAID IV
>    2) AMI MegaRAID Enterprise 1200
>    3) Vinum (raid 10)
>
> The Adaptec card looks like it might provide a superior solution.

The aac-364 is likely to offer similar performance to the AMI MegaRAID
Enterprise 1500 and the Mylex eXtremeRAID 1164 controllers, both of which
we're currently supporting.  I'm hesitant to pursue the Adaptec
controller particularly aggressively just now given the availability of
documented and functional alternatives (although I'd happy work on a
driver should documentation come my way).

> What's
> best way to proceed when trying to get documentation support from vendors?

I've typically had the best results with a friendly contact inside the
organisation; once you have someone that actually knows how the
organisation works you have a chance of tracking down the relevant people
to get the information you need.