Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:24:15 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone with DHCP experience

Hi,

I'm having some troubles getting DHCP to work with my 3c509b network
card. I know this card is not among the best supported, but I'm forced
to use this card by my cable network provider.

I have used both wide-dhcp and isc-dhcp, but only succeeded so far
with wide-dhcp.

I have had some success, but now it seems to refuse to come back up.
When I look at the packets floating by with tcpdump, it seems the
client sends out the request (DHCPDISCOVER) correctly, but then
gets a response back that contains a remark about an incorrect cksum.

I'm not fluent at reading tcpdump output, but this is what it looks
like.

Now, does this ring a bell for someone?

I stronly suspect the driver for the 3c509b, but I'm tied to it, or
could I use another card, and sent the mac address of the
3c509b with the DHCP request?
Isc-dhcp seems to have that capability, but sends out its broadcast
addresses using 'ifconfig ep0 0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255' and
that results in a send error when I run it (the latest isc-dhcp from
december 4)

Oh, and to rule out any dhcp server configurations errors, Win95 comes
up with no problems at all (assuming this means anything at all ;-))

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl