Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 95 15:30:45 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Mail...

> The moral is, why not just change the mail delivery software to store the mail
> in this format in the first place? Maybe even in the user's home directory
> in "Mail/inbox"?

Actually, I like sticking the mail in the user's home directory because
of wanting to apply accounting.  8-).

There's a program for redirecting the /var/spool/mail/<uname> into
/home/<uname>/.mailspool-<hostname> (or wherever, based on the user
name) called "hlfsd".

It's an NFS symlink redirectory like AMD, and compiles with no changes
under FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 (sorry, haven't tried it on 2.x).

If the mail were to subdirectory after that, this could be an effective
mechanism.

I agree that the mail delivery programs themselves really want to be
modified to use a uniform storage format -- but I think the first
step is to get them using common code to access mail items before
changing the layout, since that would mean one piece of code to
change when you went to that.  That's why I suggested a library
mail API was the first order of business.

This is not to say I wouldn't want to have FS changes; there's a
lot of other good reasons for FS changes besides that, though, and
a more general mechanism for forks is probably a better platform
to build upon to make that happy.  You want forks anyway for icon
information, destop location and sorting preferences, and application
to launch for a given data file.  Not to mention callbacks from the
file system when a directory currently open for display is changed
so the changes are immediately visible.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.