Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:48:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        nate@root.org
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cx states not working on Dell Inspiron 8600 (Pentium M)

In message: <412E2D33.1090900@root.org>
            Nate Lawson <nate@root.org> writes:
: Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
: > On Thu, 26.08.2004 at 09:37:33 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
: >
: >>The cx_usage is limited to C1 or C2 if USB is loaded. It's polling of
: >>the bus for changes prevents the state from dropping to anything really
: >>useful. If you don't always need USB, build a kernel without it and load
: >>it as required.
: >
: > Ah, that explains it then. Is there anything that can be done about
: > that? Does that mean, that even Windows is not using C3 and C4 if there
: > is a USB mouse plugged in?
:
: USB needs to be improved to poll more delicately.  I don't intend to
: work on this any time soon but it's on the acpi todo list:
:
: http://www.root.org/~nate/

This strikes me as something more properly belonging to the busdma
layer.  When there's bus mastering active, then we can't go into
C3/C4.  However, not all drivers in the tree are good about only
the time, say), so maybe there's some wider-ranging problems that need
to be looked at as well.  While USB may also need some work to be
better about when it does DMA, I suspect that the problem is larger
than USB...  Why does the bus mastering that ATA does not a problem
while USB's is a problem?

Have you isolaged the USB agressive polling problem to some code I can
look at.  I have some usb code staring time on my plate for work and
it would be nice to know where to look.

Warner