Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:32:12 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: One-floppy FreBSD + rich networking

> Can FreeBSD run from read-only media?  Aren't there some files in /etc
> that need to be writable at run-time?

You are thinking of Solaris/SunOS. FreeBSD can (and in many cases should)
have a read-only /usr and / filesystems. Mount /tmp or /var as MFS or
another filesystem and you're all fine and wonderful.

  I personally run kernel on one of my crash machines that
NFS mounts / read-only, and mounts an MFS for /var.  (/tmp is a symlink to
/var/tmp) Since my / filesystem also contains the /usr hierarchy (minus
home directories) I have everything available, and crashes and evil file
corruption possibilites from an unstable kernel don't phase me.
  My /etc/rc.local script (of course) builds a new /var filesystem on every
reboot, but it works great.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."