Date:      Thu, 14 May 2009 18:52:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        cracauer@cons.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Firefox on FreeBSD-7.2-STABLE

In article <20090514004902.GA79160@cons.org> you write:
>So, I am not as doomed as I thought, but the situation isn't good.
>
>Martin Cracauer wrote on Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:26:59AM -0400:
>> I might miss something here, but I find myself knocked out of
>> firefoxes on FreeBSD-7.2 now.
>>
>> Firefox-2.x had an autoupdate and since then requires gtk-2.10.  My F8
>> linux_base only has 2.6.
>
>What happened here is that the autoupdate brought me away from a
>firefox-2.x to a Firefox-3.x.  After downgrading to the latest 2.x I
>can now run again, with linux_base-f8.  That's far from optimal but
>better than nothing.
>
>> I then moved over the whole 32 chroot I use on Linux (Debian-stable
>> i386) using Firefox-3.5b4.  This one isn't stable on FreeBSD-7.2.  It
>> hangs on a regular basis which I tend to blame on some
>> threading/concurrency problem (probability of hang is obviously
>> related to amount of concurrent activity).  I backed out all emulation
>> kernel changes I have but no change.
>
>No progress on this.  As far as I can tell, the Linuxulator in
>7.2-stable is not up to running Firefox-3.5b<x>, and it seems to be
>from threading problems (hangs, no segfault), which are hard to
>debug.

That sounds familiar...  I had hangs (deadlocks?) with googleearth too,
which (as reported in another thread) I was able to work around by forcing
it onto a single cpu.  So maybe something like this works for you too:
	cpuset -l 0 linux-firefox...

 (Of course this can only make a difference on smp, and also cpuset(1)
is only available/working if you use ule.)

>I should probably try a different Linux base than I have in this
>chroot (to shake versions of the glibc thread libs a bit).  But since
>f8 won't do it I have to move someplace else here.

 HTH,
	Juergen