Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:01:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: enabling bridge-support in rc.conf?

Szilveszter Adam wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 08:28:04PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >>  > I believe a newbie to Freebsd assumes that the kernel-option BRIDGE
 >>  > should be enought to enable such functionality!
 >>
 >> I believe a newbie should read the bridge(4) manpage, and it
 >> states that you have to enable the feature using sysctl.
 >> It's pretty clear, IMO.
 >>
 >> Never assume anything.  Read the docs.
 >
 > While you might be true when saying that in general you should always read
 > the docs before doing something, we were not speaking about how this is
 > working
 > now but rather discussing a possible change to the things as they are now.

Both is (and must be) part of the discussion.

 > Sure, it worked *before*
 > when you had to manually configure Linux support (fortunately it was already

That's something completely different.  If you break your box
by configuring your Linux support, that's your problem.  But
enabling bridging affects the whole network, and it can cause
_very_ bad things if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
If you create loops in the topology by bridging, you're doomed.
The manpage contains a warning about this.  Enabling bridging
by default without user intervention is a very bad thing.

And what's the problem with sysctl anyway?

 > For example the docs up to this day ignore the tool 'mergemaster'
 > although it has become a standard util from a third-party app.

Did you write the docs and sent them to the FreeBSD docs folks?
That's what send-pr is for.   _Someone_ has to write the docs,
otherwise they don't exist.  Docs don't fall from the sky.

 > BTW I see another similar case: why do you need a sysctl in order to allow
 > ordinary users to mount/umount removable media?

Because it would be a security hole if it was enabled by
default.  It should only be enabled if the admin knows exactly
what he/she is doing.  Just like bridging.

(As far as bridging is concerened, I think this is even an RFC
requirement.)

 >> "In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
 >>                                          (Terry Pratchett)
 > Hilft man ihnen aber nicht dabei, werden viele von ihnen vergebens warten.

Which proves my point about someone having to write the docs.
:-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany