Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:00:32 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP broken on PPro

I have a cluster of machines with mixed CPU types; some PII-300 dual
SMP machines, some Athlon MP-1200 dual SMP machines, and a PPro-200 SMP
machine.  I had done a build/install world/kernel for all of the systems
on Friday November 1, 2002 and everything worked fine on all of the
machines.

I decided to another build/install world/kernel today and the PPro
machine panics as soon as the new kernel starts to load.  I can run
the machine fine with Friday's kernel however.  All of the other SMP
machines are working fine.  I checked the BIOS of the problem machine
and it is set for MP Spec 1.4.

So, something changed over the last three days with the -STABLE sources
to break this.  I am currently running the machine with Friday's kernel
so I am not too concerned but I did want to post this with the hopes
that someone will see this and know that something about a recent
commit is not quite right.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252