Date:      26 May 2000 01:42:57 +1000
From:      john@nlc.net.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FrontPage extensions

> FrontPage 2000 Extensions from http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage says that
> it works with version 1.3.12.  I have also compiled and used FrontPage
> extensions with Apache 1.3.11, although I was never able to conquer the
> creating virtual web problem with that version.  With 1.3.12 though, if you
> follow the directions, including running the change_server script, it works
> like a charm

Yep, I agree with that.

"Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/3.0.16 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.6.2 OpenSSL/0.9.3a"

> > What is entailed in setting up an apache server to handle 'frontpage
> > extensions' ? is it just a mime type or will it require more than that?

It's a bunch of files that live inside _vti_* directories inside the
web space. When you create a root-web/virtual/subweb, the fpsrvadm
program basically accesses your apache.conf file to find the directory
of the web space, it then proceeds to create and populate the _vti_*
directories with files and .htaccess options. Note: fpadmin doesn't
like double quotes around the .conf file directives that it looks at,
i.e. anything like a path or directory name.

Using frontpage against the site basically runs the _vti_bin programs
as Apache would any normal CGI program. If you have mod-frontpage
installed, Apache runs them from the frontpage install directory via
a suid root stub called fpexe. Also fpsrvadm doesn't copy the binary
.exe files into the _vti_bin directory. If you use suexec with
mod-frontpage, then be prepared for a clash between the two suid root
stub programs (suexec and fpexe.exe). It needs to be patched to
co-exist with frontpage.

...and that's about all there is to frontpage.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 1800-445-100 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |