Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:41:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        mi@privatelabs.com
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   siag anyone (Re: rpm and WordPerfect Office 2000)

>>>>> "mi" == mi  <mi@privatelabs.com> writes:

mi> On 15 May, Chad R. Larson wrote: = As I recall, David Gilbert
mi> wrote: = > I must say that I'm dissapointed that I can't run it.
mi> = = This is older hat, but I've had WordPerfect 8 running on a =
mi> 2.2.8-STABLE system under Linux emulation since Dec, 1998.  = =
mi> Has anyone tried to evaluate pros and cons of the various office =
mi> suites?  = = 1) Applixware - native = 2) StarOffice - linux = 3)
mi> WordPerfect - linux = 4) anything - Wine = 5) ???

mi> Siag as in /usr/ports/math/siag ?

SIAG as a concept (Scheme In A Grid) is really cool.  However, SIAG
the project is not.  The several different versions that I have used
are not entirely interoperable.  There seems to be an unclear
direction as to what language the thing will use.  They've tried to
adopt a more win95-ish interface, but it appears to be worse.

Mainly, people here are asking for office replacements.  That is also
what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, complex financial functions are
more important that trig functions and equation solving (which are
cooler for geeks to code).  I believe that the actual value function
is something that we require in a spreadsheet.  Also important is the
array of output options.

Dave.