Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:08:51 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Antti Kantee' <pooka@iki.fi>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: trouble with ntop & 3.3-RELEASE

I can't suggest as to why it's locking down the system.  As there's really
not enough information to go on.

What I can say is that the 1st time I tried to use it (on 3.2-STABLE) it
would just core dump on me.  Now, (on 3.3-STABLE) it does run, but it sucks
down CPU time like there's no tomorrow.

Do you have multiple interfaces on the machine?  If so try running it on an
alternate interface and see if it's somehow taking down that interface or
really locking the machine.  Alternatively, try running it WITH the GENERIC
kernel and see if there is any difference (bpf is in the GENERIC 3.3
kernel).

I've personally given up on ntop and now use trafshow.  It seems more
stable.  At least for me it is.

-Chris