Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 10:42:59 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        magikman <mailing.lists@dvterry.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net/Force Install

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:46:47AM -0400, magikman wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      The co-host that i use to host my email, web and DNS doesn't offer
> the option of using FreeBSD. This isn't really a problem per-se,  but i
> would *really* rather use FreeBSD as it is what i am accustomed to and
> most comfortable using.
>
> So, off to my question. They offer a "rescuemode" where i can boot into
> and have full access to the disks. Do you think it would be possible to
> maybe create an image of an existing BSD install with the same disk
> makeup, etc. and dd it to the remote disk? Have any of you ever
> attempted this before? The procedure that i was planning to use involved
> using dd to pipe the image over a netcat connection.

It may be possible.
It depends a lot on what they actually are doing and what your host
is actually running on.   Is it a virtual machine?  If so, you might
have trouble using dd, but you might be able to do it another way.
How does their 'rescue mode' work?   Is it some BIOS thing or maybe
additional hardware or some Ghost-like or Acronis system.  It that
case, it might be difficult, but maybe.

Anyway, it might be do-able, but possibly more involved than just
doing a dd.   Anyway, dd is not the best way to move a complete
disk image from one system to a dissimilar system.   If you can
get enough control over the disk, can you do an fdisk and bsdlabel
on it.  If so, then you can create partitions and make the disk
bootable if it is a real disk and maybe even if it is a virtual
disk.   Then newfs the partitions to create file systems on them and
use dump/restore to move file systems' data in to place on the disk.

////jerry