Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:10:04 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        "Arthur H. Johnson II" <arthur@tucows.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with audio CD

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 05:54:35PM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> On Thu 1999-08-26 (11:50), Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> > > Try "cdcontrol -f wcd0 play" and see if that works.
> > >
> > > This assumes you have an IDE/ATAPI CDROM drive, which is probably a safe
> > > bet.  wcd0 is thus your cd drive.
> >
> > Thankyou.  I was trying to use cdplay and xcdplay.
>
> In that case, the cdplay manpage says use -d to specify device.
>
> Thus,
>
> cdplay -d wcd0

Check the manpage for cdplay as well. It probably supports an rc
file (~/.cdplayrc or similar) where you can specify a default CD
device. Most CD players I've tried have, if you have no device
entry in the rc file or don't use ``-d'', a hard-coded default that
seems to always use Linux device names. The KDE CD player had
/dev/matcd0 as the hard-coded default - the proprietry Matsushita/Panasonic
device - how many people still have those! (the fastest ones they
made were 4x).

> I'm sure the same applies to other programs - check their manpages or
> other documentation.
>
> Neil
> --
> Neil Blakey-Milner
> nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.