Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 16:33:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mr D Whitehead (Ext 2703) <davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Security Problem?

Hi,
	First the compliments - great job so far.

	Now the problem.  I have been using FreeBSD (2.0R) at home (without
any problems) and also evaluating it for use at work.  One ancient and major
problem seems to exist (unless I have missed something or it has already been
altered) and that is the reboot to single user.  No password, nothing, just a
root shell to do with as you wish.  OK I know its not a problem at home - but
just imagine the fun all our undergraduates would have with this if we put a
machine in a public area (the current suggestion is for 50).

	We would really like to replace our ageing Sun SLC's but are seriously
worried about the above problem - any comments?

		Many thanks,
--
		Dave Whitehead (Computer Support Staff)
EMAIL:-					|	TELEPHONE:-