Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 17:51:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server PPP

> I am trying to setup server mode PPP on my FreeBSD 3.2 box, I am going to

	You first need to decide if you are going to run kernel mode
   ppp or user mode ppp. If you are going to run kernel mode ppp, the
   pppd(8) man page gives very userful examples. The only thing I
   would change is the ignore the " "~-^Uppp-~" " line in your chat
   file.

	If you are going to run user mode ppp, there is a very good
   write up in the handbook you should read and follow. Go to www.
   freebsd.org, go to the handbook and read chapter 15, PPP and SLIP.

	Frankly, however, I do _NOT_ recommend you try to follow
   the handbook instructions for using kernel PPP. The man page is
   much better and more understandable.

	I first got user level ppp running. It was then easy to get
    the kernel level ppp running. Of course, the chapter in "The
    Complete FreeBSD" helped a lot, but the the pppd man page is more
    complete and accurate.

							Bruce