Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:12:57 -0400
From:      Mark Woodson <mwoodson@wloq.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vectra XU 6/xxx

I'm having a huge problem trying to get FreeBSD installed on this
system.  I've tried a number of different installs and they all fail with
the same result (3.4R, 4.1R, 4.2R, from burned ISO, from Walnut Creek CD's,
from FTP w/boot floppies).

The system is an HP Vectra XU 6 with PPro 200 & 32M, doesn't have the
original NIC (linksys, recognized as dc0) and a USR 33.6 (sio4).

Thinking originally that it was a problem with the drive, I've tried 4 so
far.  The original Seagate 2.5G SCSI, an old Quantum 3G SCSI and a Maxtor
71670 IDE (with SCSI disabled though the chipset still gets recognized
Adaptec 7880 chipset).

After the install (which runs flawlessly) in will not boot.  I just get a
cursor, no messages are output on the screen.

I've spent some time digging through the archives at geocrawler and haven't
found anything to help me.  While there isn't anything listed on the errata
for 4.2, I did see the boot0 bug listed, and downloaded and applied the
updated boot0 with boot0cfg from the fixit shell.  Didn't seem to make any
difference.  I've tried creating a small DOS partition (thinking that maybe
there was a drive geometry problem).

In a fit of despair I tried installing RedHat, that installed fine (the
second time) but panicked on boot because it thought that there was a
second processor (which there isn't, it's a SMP board, but the second
processor remains uninstalled).

I'd love to be able to get this machine running, but I'm out of ideas.  I
know people have gotten FreeBSD running on these machines...  I'm just
totally clueless as to how they did it.

-Mark