Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:58:44 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "John Hay" <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PPS API change assert/clear

	Wow. It seems you're right. This still makes no sense to me, but it does
seem to be the standard!

	When DCD is asserted, you will get a clear event. When DCD is cleared, you
will get an assert event. Go figure:

   A PPS signal consists of a series of pulses, each with an
   ``asserted'' (logical true) phase, and a ``clear'' (logical false)
   phase.  The two phases may be of different lengths.  The API may
   capture an ``assert timestamp'' at the moment of the transition into
   the asserted phase, and a ``clear timestamp'' at the moment of the
   transition into the clear phase.

   The specific assignment of the logical values ``true'' and ``false''
   with specific voltages of a PPS signal, if applicable, is outside the
   scope of this specification.  However, these assignments SHOULD be
   consistent with applicable standards.  Implementors of PPS sources
   SHOULD document these assignments.

      ---------
      Reminder to implementors of DCD-based PPS support:  TTL and
      RS-232C (V.24/V.28) interfaces both define the "true" state as
      the one having the highest positive voltage. TTL defines a
      nominal absence of voltage as the "false" state, but RS-232C
      (V.24/V.28) defines the "false" state by the presence of a
      negative voltage.
      ---------

	DS