Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 16:09:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        matt@lkg.dec.com, smp@csn.net, ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu, kmitch@weenix.guru.org, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

> Again, I agree: mapping IRQs behind bridges does seem tricky.  Of course,
> mapping anything but INT A will give you the same problems!  They really
> should be in the table...

...uh, how could they be?

This would require his BIOS ROM to know about the Adaptec card
plugged into the machine!

As someone already pointed out, the PCI-PCI bridge chip identified
itself, and should have been seen as INTB due to the PCI 1.0
bridge specification (1.0 is old -- April 5, 1994 -- anyone have
a newer one from the PCI SIG that disagrees with mine?).

Contact:

	PCI Spcial Interest Group
	M/S JFS-51
	5200 N.E. Elam Young Parkway
	Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-6497
	(503)696-6111

For current PCI specifications and materials...

The real problem is that you really need a bridge-specific driver
to be able to ask the bridge chipset itself.

Nevertheless, knowing there is a bridge there, you should know
INT B will be used from examining the posted MPtable stuff...
I think Steve said that code wasn't written?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.