Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:28:52 +0100
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Neil McGann <nmcgann@neilmcgann.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5-Release kernel locking hard after 30 minutes

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:01:56 +0000
Neil McGann <nmcgann@neilmcgann.co.uk> wrote:

NM> I tried to upgrade from 4.4-R to 4.5-R via CVSUP. Kernel compiled and
NM> installed fine (as generic, but includes ipfilter and stripped down to
NM> eliminate unnecessary devices). I started doing a buildworld, but after 30
NM> mins of heavy compiling the machine locked solid - a hard reset required to
NM> recover. Never seen this before.
NM>
NM> I booted back to 4.4R Kernel and all is well again. PC is Asus Cuple-VM
NM> mobo (82C686B southbridge), 256Mb, integrated graphics, 60Gb IBM HD, 400MHz
NM> celeron, 2xFA311 NIC. Uptime is weeks with 4.4R under heavy usage (only
NM> tweaking the kernel has required a reboot).
NM>
NM> Suggestions of how to attack the 4.5 lockup problem?

	One place to look would be the 686b data corruption fix - I assume
that 4.5 reports enabling it. If so try editing /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c
and on line 536 you will find a three line if (under a comment about the 686b).
Comment it out (/* before and */ after) and rebuild your kernel. If this
fixes the problem then send in a detailed bug report with send_pr (include
dmesg output). If it doesn't fix the problem then put the code back the way
it was and rebuild again before you forget :)

--
C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                    |A Better Way To Focus The Sun