Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 06:08:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        S.Dixon@BOM.Gov.au (Steve Dixon), freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd installation

> Steve Dixon stands accused of saying:
> >
> > It is a serial mouse on com1. dmesg shows up sio0 on IRQ4, and I
> > understand /dev/tty00 corresponds to com1. However, I cannot find either
>
> /dev/ttyd0.  Read the 'sio' manpage; remember, we have documentation. 8)

Actually, if you read through all our X doc, the "misc devices"
sections of the handbook and FAQ, pretty much anyplace you might go to
_initially_ find this documentation, you won't find it.  It's been
misplaced. :-) The sio manpage is all but buried for the new user
(experienced with UNIX or not - doing an "apropos serial" does little
to designate the `sio' entry as the "generic serial driver") and
doesn't really make it as a substitute.  Some of the basic info from
sio(4) needs to go into the handbook, I think.

					Jordan