Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 15:35:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      <joeo@nks.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors from the ata disk driver

Will the backdown to PIO mode be permanent till the next reboot of the
machine, or will the driver be able to attempt to return to DMA mode after
a timeout period.  I'm only seeing these errors under really heavy disk
activity (mutlitple nfs readers and writers plus rsync/mirror jobs to the
vinum volume in question).

On the vinum front, does vinum have the ability to retry writing a block
(or whatever the correct abstration is) to the same device if an error
like this comes up from the underlying device?

Thanks,
keep up the great work

(Yes, I know I should be using scsi for something like this, but the price
of a 200GB raid0 unit built out of IDE equipment compared to the same
built out of SCSI hardware is quite shocking.  Especially for a
non-mission critical role.)