Date:      Sun, 18 May 2003 22:51:12 -0400
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
To:        jimd@siu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI on SB Live! ?

On May 18, jimd@siu.edu wrote:
> Amiga Unix Emulator, UAE, is in the ports tree. You will need Amiga ROM
> images, or a copy of the "Amiga Forever" CD with said ROM images. UAE has
> a small utility to copy the Amiga ROM on a real Amiga computer.

	A quick peruse of the source win32 specfic stuff in UAE
suggests that it treats a midi as a raw serial port.  The question is,
does it think that it's UART or an mpu...

> I have copied KCS, Sonix, and DeluxeMusic over to UAE and they run just
> fine. I tried a previous Amiga emulator called Amithlon and QNX (RTOS),
> but it couldn't provide a properly syncrhonized timer for the music S/W.
>
> As much as I appreciate UAE, I REALLY would prefer NATIVE music + MIDI
> capabilities either under FreeBSD or a new AmigaPPC, if such an animal
> ever gets to 'see the light of day'. NO - I won't touch M$!

	Native support will come first since UAE would use it.  If it
treats it as a uart, then it should be doable now.

	--Mat
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: Well, I think so Brain, but if we didn't have ears, we'd look