Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 10:58:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe <flaboy@gnv.fdt.net>
To:        "Nicholas J. Dear" <ndear@areti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Auto responder.

Here's the one we use:

This is in /usr/local/etc, and called vacation.filter (as noted int he
.procmailrc file below)

SHELL=/bin/sh    # for other shells, this might need adjustment

:0 Whc: vacation.lock
# Perform a quick check to see if the mail was addressed to us
* $^To:.*${LOGNAME}
# Don't reply to daemons and mailinglists
* !^FROM_DAEMON
# Mail loops are evil
| formail -rD 8192 vacation.cache

:0 ehc         # if the name was not in the cache
| (formail -rA"Precedence: junk" \
  -A"X-Loop: $LOGNAME@fdt.net" -i"Subject: $LOGNAME is away"; \
  cat $MAILDIR/vacation.msg ; \
  cat $HOME/.signature 2>/dev/null\
  ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

And here's the .procmailrc that calls it:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail      # You'd better make sure it exists
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
VERBOSE=no
#VERBOSE=yes

#test vacation
#INCLUDERC=/usr/local/etc/vacation.filter

of course uncomment it :)

In your /mail directory, you need a file called vacation.msg where you put
the notice anyone gets that writes to you.

It also generates a vacation.cache file in /mail so that only one
recepient per email address gets it.  Delete this so the same person can
get your reply over and over if that's what you want.

You need to edit the vacation.filter file for your own domain to prevent
mail loops, obviously the fdt entries should be replaced with your domain
entries.

Cheers!

Joe Barnhart
Network Administrator