Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:35:51 -0400
From:      ravi pina <ravi@cow.org>
To:        Dave <dave@nexusinternetsolutions.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID solution - FreeBSD 4.3

hi.

i recently built a machine using the Mylex AcceleRAID 250
(SCSI RAID 1 using 2 disk) and the Promise FastTrak 100
(DAM100 IDE RAID 0 using 4 disk). i've setup, because i
could, a raid 0+1 with the Promise card and it also worked
fine, as does using it as just a DAM100 controller. these
worked using 4.2R, 4.3R, and 4.3S.

the scsi raid is for my boot disk and functioned fine when
i tested the functionality by removing a disk. the raid 0
i did not test, for obvious reasons.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.3R/notes.html details
all the raid cards that work.

-r

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:06:27AM -0400, Dave said at one point in time:
> Looking for first hand experience with successfull implementation of
> hardware based RAID solutions for simple mirroring applications.
>
> - assuming hardware / PCI RAID card
> - hardware level so compatibility problems with FreeBSD 4.3 is of
> little or no concern
> - hot swap without disturbing FreeBSD 4.3 system
> - rebuild of mirror after hot swap
> - performance
>
> assuming SCSI solution but would consider IDE if it meets the above
> requirements
>
> again, the biggest concern is not ending up messing with driver or
> compatibility issues with exsiting FreeBSD 4.3 installations...  our
> server setup is perfect, just want to add RAID.
>
> Appreciate any insight
>
> Dave

echo "send pgp key" | mail ravi@cow.org ; lynx http://cow.org ; echo "!gc"
If you mixed vodka with orange juice and milk of magnesia, would you
get a Phillip's Screwdriver?