Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:34:42 -0500
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem accessing local Apache server when local named is used

I've just installed a FreeBSD 3.3-Release from CD.  I'm having a problem
with Netscape 4.6 accessing the Apache web server on the same machine.  Both
haven't been modified/customized at all.  I simply installed the ports,
testing to see if Netscape can get to the Apache index.html page to verify
the installation.  I use the machine name as in http://machine.domain.com
<http://machine.domain.com>; .  I'm not doing virtual hosting.

Netscape says that the local name can't be resolved.  The nameserver (bind8)
is running on the same machine.  Since telnet, ftp ping etc. all worked just
fine, I installed the Linx and Chimera2 ports just to test. They don't have
a problem.  The machine name resolves just fine and Apache displays the web
page that ships with it.  Also, Netscape, Chimera and Linx on other machines
(also using this nameserver) work just fine.

Is there anything special I need to do?  Searching the mailing lists I've
seen similar type of problems, but only when virtual hosting was being used
(I'm not) and in those cases no machine on the net was able to resolve
names.  In my case, only the local Netscape browser doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MikeC