Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:24:20 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean"

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 04:27, well sun wrote:
>    thanks your answers. I use the ports-supfile and stable-supfile under
>    /usr/share/examples/cvsup to do upgrade.
>
>    I think I understand what the difference between the pkg_add and "make
>    install".
>
>    That is if I want to install the latest version, I should use the
>    "make install" or get the xxx.tbz from the freebsd-current directory.
>    Is it correct?
>    Could I make the default directory from 5.3-release to 6.0-current by
>    change one configuration file? If I want to override the default
>    fetching site of "pkg_add" command by some faster sites, how can I do?

by and large, speed should not be the prime reason for choosing a package
server.

The default FreeBSD package collection often lags the ports collection
considerably. Many packages are only updated during FreeBSD releases, some
not even then. For KDE you are better-off using the "fruit-salad" servers,
you will find a link here:

http://freebsd.kde.org/instructions.php#kde-from-packages

However, if you have a reasonably up-to-date machine I'd stick to ports; and
use portupgrade or portmanager to maintain them.