Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 01:32:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com, faq@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DocBook DTD's for 3.0 and 3.1

On 11-May-99 nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 06:59:56PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On 10-May-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
>> > Not yet.  I haven't looked seriously at DocBook 3.1 yet, which is what
>> > we'll do the FAQ in.  3.1 has a new qandaset element (and subelements)
>> > for marking up FAQs.
>>
>> Do we want to change /usr/doc/share/sgml/freebsd.dtd to use 3.1 and get rid
>> of
>> the FAQ* entries from it or would you rather move the FreeBSD specifics out
>> into another file that freebsd.dtd and freebsd-faq.dtd (or
>> freebsd-31.dtd or something) include?
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand.
>
> I'm going to get a repository copy done of freebsd.dtd to
> freebsd-docbook-300.dtd.  Then I'll update the catalog file to point to
> that for the FPI "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.0-Based Extension//EN".
>
> Then I'll create freebsd-docbook-310.dtd, based on DocBook 3.1, and
> create an FPI for that, which will probably be
>
>     "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.1-Based Extension//EN"
>
> That way we can have 3.0 and 3.1 based documents co-existing in the
> tree.  As soon as that's done we can then use both DTDs without fear of
> them clashing.  I will strip the FAQ* elements out of both DTDs.

In case you are interested, I split the functionality of freebsd.dtd into two
entity files: freebsd-ext-pre.ent and freebsd-ext-post.ent and took out the FAQ
stuff.  I then created freebsd-docbook-30.dtd and freebsd-docbook-31.dtd that
simply include freebsd-ext-pre.ent, then their respective docbook DTD, and then
freebsd-ext-post.ent.  I then tested out both DTD's with both the Handbook and
the DocProj-Primer.  All four builds succeeded without a hitch.  I have the
freebsd-ext-(pre|post).ent and freebsd-docbook3[01].dtd files available as well
as a patch to /usr/doc/share/sgml/catalog to change the file for the FreeBSD
extended version of DocBook 3.0 and to add the 3.1 DTD.  If we keep both DTD's
then we will also need a patch to share/mk/docbook.docproj.mk to include both
/usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/3.[01] in the list of catalogs.

I'd like to get cracking on moving the FAQ over to DocBook, but I'm going to be
losing my 'net access for at least two weeks (have to find an ISP at my job for
this summer) and I don't want to be doing my own thing away from the rest of
the FAQ team.  When would you guys like to start migrating it, BTW?

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org