Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 2016 17:42:51 +0100
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
Cc:        fortran@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, tijl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help make port for opencoarrays

Hello,

[+ tijl@ to Cc: as maintainer of net/mpich]

Le mer 17 fév 16 à 23:50:37 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
 écrivait :
> Please help/advise
>
> https://github.com/sourceryinstitute/opencoarrays
>
> It requires mpich built with at least gcc5.3,
> more specifically mpif90 built with gcc5.3 or gcc6.
> net/mpich has FORTRAN_USES=fortran, which I understand
> triggers lang/gcc.
>
> Is it a good idea (or at all possible) to add
> an option to net/mpich to choose a particular
> gcc version?
>
> Any other advice?

ATM Fortran in FreeBSD is in a very bad shape, and, as you know, we
encounter difficulties with several ports (french/aster, cad/salome,
etc.) caused by a mix between clang and Gcc, and thus libstdc++ /
libc++.

If building mpich with a newer Gcc could solve the problem with
opencoarrays, I'm afraid it would cause uncompatibilities in other
dependencies - but unfortunately I cannot suggest a better alternative!
--
Th. Thomas.