Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:56:03 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Australian Eastern DST 2000

Hi y'all,

I have the dubious honour of living in New South Wales, Australia. This
year (2000) there is some sporting event happening in September/October,
and as a result we'll be required to begin Daylight Savings Time
earlier. "How much earlier?" I hear you ask. 2 months!

The official start for NSW (not Victoria or Tasmania) this year is
"Sunday August 27, 2000" (source:
<http://dir.gis.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/genobject/document/other/daylightsaving/tigGmZITWr0>;
).

I noticed that going onto DST and coming off just recently all happened
automagically in FreeBSD. But, I am wondering if the zoneinfo file for
Australian EST is set up to cope with the early start in NSW (and ACT)
this year? I suspect not.

Is this a non-issue, or can we ask who ever looks after the ZoneInfo
files to be nice and issue a corrected one for this year?

If there is a method of modifying the zoneinfo files myself, then I'll
be happy with that as a 'workaround' ;')

Thanks and regards,

Haxxa