Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 00:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paras Trivedi <paras@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        paras@cisco.com (Paras Trivedi)
Subject:   Serial mouse not working

Hi,

I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on a PC.
It has a mouse on COM1 port. The PC also has Win 95
and mouse works fine under Win95. But under FreeBSD,
(startx), mouse has no effect atall.

I managed to run XF86Setup using keyboard and generated
proper XF86Config file. So, video card (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000)
works fine. Everything comes up. But mouse cursor doesn't move.

The mouse is not a name brand one. But it's a generic
serial mouse. I've set mouse protocol to various types.
/dev/mouse has been linked to /dev/cuaa0. The serial port
is also properly recognised at boot probe:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A

I've disabled sio3 and 4 in custom kernel. I have GUS sound
card that I haven't built into kernel yet. Otherwise, I have
all the standard stuff (IDE drive, ATAPI CDROM etc). Everything
works fine except this funny mouse.

I've read the FAQs and tried out sysmouse by setting proper
lines in rc.conf (for moused) and it didn'g work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Paras.