Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:59:24 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPP: a big disappointment of 3.4

> Yesterday, I upgraded my father's 3.0-CURRENT to the 3.4 and now he is
> unable to get online. When ppp's chat script completes, ppp logs
>
> 	Warning: truncated pap header (0 > 5)
>
> several times and proceeds to redialing. The /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is
> the same as before. The ISP is Ziplink. He says, there were occasional
> problems getting online before, but last night we were unable to do it
> at all.
>
> Sorry, I typed the message by memory and do not have the log here --
> his machine is off-line... I'm going to bring an older ppp to him (from
> 3.2-STABLE) to see if it will work better. Any clues?

I think you'll need to find out what the exact message was.  If it was
perhaps

  auth_ReadHeader: Short packet header (4 > 0) !

then you're receiving an empty authentication packet.  Older (3.0)
versions of ppp would probably happily ignore this.  Your best bet is
to ``set log physical'' and send me the output - I should be able to
determine if this is the case.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>