Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 11:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Jon <jon@state.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fake telnet

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Jon wrote:

> There are 'honey pot' servers available for luring people into your
> system, but think about a couple things:
>
> > Has anyone written a configurable fake telnet program? The idea I had was
> > to copy my own version of telnet over the installed ver. so that I could
> > see what these system crackers are attempting on my system. Right now I
> > have telnet and ftp turned off and having portsentry notify me when
> > someone trys to access these ports. I only have an @home connection and
>
> 1) Even though the servers I've seen look benign, what if they had an
> exploit, which would open up your system, and really make it
> exploitable...
>
> 2) Why do you want the extra bandwidth being used by these people,
> unless you have bandwidth to burn?
I'm considering writing my own fake telnet program so I can see what these
crackers are doing once they think they're getting in. With all of the
usual protections to keep them from exiting to a shell.

> > I'm wondering where all these crackers are finding my IP from.
>
> 3) The IP is probably found by people that understand what bridge group
> IP ranges or PPP pools are available for DSL or dialup connections.
> This isn't that hard, since many ISP's use host names that usually have
> ppp, dialup, 33k, 56k, dsl, or some other indicator.  Once that is
> found, they usually scan that subnet for holes, because, unlike many
> people on this list (there's probably a couple black hatters, though ;),
> they have way too much time on their hands :-)
Running portsentry I don't get to see how they got to me. Through my IP,
or through my Cxxxxxx-A.myloc.cable.modem, or through my alias
mydomain.dhs.org. I'd like to be able to latch onto this and see how
they're getting to me.

David
Software Engineer - NetManage
Work email: david.daugherty@netmanage.com