Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:30:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Rossi <tpr@picspc01.pics.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hangs after ifconfig on boot

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Terry Rossi wrote:

> I have an increasingly more frequently problem with 2.1R hanging
> during system boot-up.  Right after the boot-up shows me the
> ifconfig information for my ethernet device "ed1" it hangs
> until I hit <cntrl>-C.  Then for all of the network deamons
> I have to also hit <cntrl>-c to get to a login prompt.
>
> After I login, I notice that the default route is not set and
> I cannot ping localhost.  After I add "route add default myrouter" I
> can ping the world, but I still cannot ping "localhost"
>
> Any networking quru's want to venture a quess here.  I don't
> think it is a configuration issue, as nothing has changed (famous
> last words)...

At a guess, I would say that your machine isn't being able to resolve
addresses correctly.  Is your /etc/resolv.conf showing a good address for
a nameserver?  Actually, I guess you ought to have two addresses for a
nameserver here.

> TIA  Terry
> --
> Terry Rossi tpr@pics.com                 Data: 609/753-2540
> Sysop, Pics OnLine BBS                 telnet: bbs.pics.com
> 609/767-0216 Voice/Fax              WWW: http://www.pics.com

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;