Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:43:45 -0700
From:      Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Next Generation" kernel configuration?

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:39:31PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Just musing on an idea here:
>
> I've been thinking for a while now about trying to write a tool to make
> kernel configuration easier, sort of a "make config" (as in ports) for
> the kernel, similar to what's available on some of the Linux distros.

I've read over the other posts in this thread, but I cannot say I think
this is a good idea. In fact, I think it's a very bad idea, but with
very good intentions. Here's why..

I'm a strong proponent of user education. The FreeBSD handbook is one of
the best education tools for someone who wants to use FreeBSD, right
from beginner to more advanced levels.

A "config tool", while useful for beginners, would quickly result is
those beginners not learning about building a kernel themselves, copying
GENERIC to `hostname -s | tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"`, editing it,
learning what is in LINT, remembering to look through there, etc.
This process teaches users a lot about how a BSD kernel is configured,
what options are availible, and where to look for more options.

The end result would be more people building kernels themselves, but not
knowing what is actually happening, or what more is possible. It would
mean less educated users, and I don't think that is somewhere any
organization needs to go (look at what happened to the average Microsoft
user's IQ level, after people stopped using DOS and started having
machines do the work for them).

Like I said, I think your intentions are good, but I have concerns about
the suggested solution.