Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:18:42 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Minor sparc64 install-time questions

I just did an install of 5.2-rc2 on my Sparc Ultra-10 machine.
That seems to have gone fine, but I have two questions.

Right after booting up, the user is asked to pick a terminal
type, from:
     1 - standard ansi terminal
     2 - vt100 or compatible
     3 - freebsd system console (color)
     4 - freebsd system console (mono)
     5 - xterm terminal emulator

None of those worked particularly great for me, although all
of them seemed to work "to some degree".  I finally decided on
choice #2, as that seemed to work the best in the disklabel
step.  How does one know which to pick?
   - - -
Also, is there any way to have more than 7 BSD partitions (in
addition to 'c', of course) on a single hard disk?
   - - -
Also, are we supposed to be using 'bsdlabel' instead of
'disklabel' now?  I assume so, since there is no disklabel
installed in my system...  When I go to run bsdlabel, it tells
me that I *must* specify a -m architecture, even though the
man page indicates that is optional.  The man page also does
not say what valid values for 'arch' are (neither does the
program).  Looking at the source, it seems that nothing
sparc-ish is listed as a valid option.

I can do disklabeling chores via sysinstall, where it both
works and also claims that it's the 'FreeBSD Disklabel Editor'.

   - - -
One last question, which may do nothing more than show how
I am ignorant of some details.  After the install of 5.2-RC2
onto a clean disk, /lib has a variety of "versioned" libraries,
such as libutil.so.4.  However, it does not include any symlinks
from the non-versioned name (eg: libutil.so) to one of the
versioned files.  /usr/lib does seem to include such symlinks,
as does /lib on my freebsd/i386 system.  Is this how /lib is
expected to be on a new sparc64 install?